The SOTO Sun

The Student News Site of School of the Osage

The SOTO Sun

The SOTO Sun

Does Osage Staff Know What Students Want and Need?

Confusion and conflict over scheduling and classes

Many students go to teachers for information about what classes entail or what credits they need to count toward graduation. Students often ask teachers about the actual class they teach, but when inquiring about credits they often go to a school counselor. The counselors are in charge of putting together student schedules for the good of the students, according to what credits are needed to graduate.

Some students indicated problems with their scheduling as school began this year. Their complaints were that certain requirements did not necessarily help with shaping their future plans or there were mixups when planning their desired classes. Brianna Cramer, a student at Osage High School, reported she had a set schedule planned for the start of the Fall 2023 semester with her previous counselor and administration. Cramer said, “They moved me from one part of the day and then changed me to the afternoon” after a switch in counselors occurred. Even though personnel changes and programs fluctuate, the requirements set by the state and by School of the Osage stay relatively the same.

Most students do not know the requirements, rely only on what is suggested by their teachers, or do not have classes that would help with what they want to go into after graduating. Our Osage school administrator of four years, Ms. Misti Brunnert, had a few words to say regarding the school’s requirements and whether or not they are up-to-date with what students need and want to do after graduation. “I think that is something we’re always looking at, as a district, to make sure kids are ready for the real world. With the LCTC program, the early college program and advanced placement program…and we do offer clubs for kids to experience different arts.” Brunnert mentions a lot of opportunities our school has that many schools do not, and while there are other opportunities still out there Osage students do not have, we are very fortunate to have some of these opportunities to pursue now for our futures.

As for considering a personnel switch, the change in counselors would not be as much of an issue if they were informed of the students’ prior conversations and wishes. The newest counselor to join the Osage staff is Ms. Amanda Boberg, someone who is not so new after all, having been a counselor for seven years. When asked if she was given any information about students’ scheduling going into any kind of alternative programs here at Osage, Boberg said she was informed. And regarding having to deal with a lot of schedule changes and having a specific cause, Boberg simply said, “Yes, and it [a change in students’ schedules] happens every year and is normal.” The new administration comes in without the knowledge of the situation and many students get schedules that do not have any requested classes on them or get calls wondering why they wish to do certain programs. All staff works diligently to make the changes that satisfy both the requirements necessary for graduation and the desires of the students. Brunnert indicated that “previous counselors had it [schedules for all students] ready last year,” and new counselors worked to understand placements and schedules and make changes as needed.

Yet, students were switching classes and had “messed up” schedules, so where exactly is this issue coming from? The previous counselors should be filling students in on certain decisions that are made instead of students being unaware of changes. Both students and counselors have issues when they need to figure out how to redo schedules to get what everyone wants and needs on them.