The SOTO Sun

The Student News Site of School of the Osage

The SOTO Sun

The SOTO Sun

Featured Player: Nolan Arenado

Nolan Arenado is the current third baseman for the St. Louis Cardinals. He’s one of the greatest third basemen of all time. His accolades include the following: 8 time all star, 10 time gold glove winner, 6 time platinum glove winner, 5 time silver slugger, and multiple top 3 MVP finishes. His current career stat line is 54.4 WAR, 1669 hits, 325 home runs, .286 batting average in 5,828 at bats. He was born in Newport Beach, California on April 16, 1991. His parents are Fernando Arenado and Millie Arenado who each have Hispanic ancestry. He committed to Arizona State University; however, he did not go as he was selected 59th overall by the Colorado Rockies in 2009. He made his MLB debut on April 28, 2013 and tied for 7th place in Rookie of the Year voting. He won his very first gold glove that same year. In 2015 he became an all star for the very first time in his career. He’s also led the league in home runs three times in his career. Prior to the 2021 season, he was traded to the St. Louis Cardinals in what is known as one as the most lopsided trades in MLB history. In 2023, Arenado calmed down in his defense due to a back issue causing it to break his gold glove streak which is tied with Ichiro Suzuki for the most won in a row. Because he is only 32, Arenado still has many more years left to play. With his lower-than-expected play during the 2023 season, many think it’s only down from here, but, personally, I think he’ll bounce back for the 2024 season. Maybe he’ll even win his first MVP award.