The SOTO Sun

The Student News Site of School of the Osage

The SOTO Sun

The SOTO Sun

February Holidays

Groundhog Day, Valentine Day, and Presidents Day.

Groundhog Day is what starts the month off. It is February 2 every year and on that day the groundhog seeks its shadow. If the sun is shining and the Groundhog sees its shadow, we will have 6 more weeks of winter. While, if the sun is not shining and the groundhog does not see its shadow then it will be an early spring. This year the groundhog did not see his shadow, so we get an early spring, which I love. I believe that people should be excited for the early spring because spring sports will not have to deal with the inclement weather that might happen with the extended winter. Other students that I talked to also agreed saying “I think that It is good to have a shorter winter so that we can start enjoying the spring, as that is my favorite season” (anonymous). Another student said, “I wish we had a longer winter because I like the cold and being all cuddled up with a book”(anonymous). I think that both of these opinions are important to see and understand because they show that people are different depending on their hobbies. 

The next Holiday is Valentine’s Day, which is on February 14th. This is a day that you can celebrate your love for another person. Whether that is a significant other or a close friend. For me, it matters to celebrate the love between two friends because I feel like we do not appreciate our friends enough. The valentines tradition of giving chocolates started in the 19th century Richard Cadbury was from a family that made chocolate. With new technology, they could make more varieties of chocolate for their customers. He thought that it was a good idea to sell chocolates on Valentine’s Day to make more money for their company. It is a wonderful business idea because nowadays if you do not buy your person chocolates with flowers then they get mad. I don’t truly enjoy chocolates so it does not make me mad. Also, I talked to some of my friends and they would not get mad if they did not get chocolates anyway. 

February 22, which is George Washington’s birthday, which was first celebrated as a federal holiday in the United States in the 1880s. In the year 1968, we moved the holiday and adapted it to the third Monday in February because Abraham Lincoln was born on February 12. It is important to celebrate these on this day because those that we celebrate on this day have changed the way we live. George Washington was the commander of the Continental Army and helped us get our independence so he deserves the recognition. Abraham Lincoln as president guided his country through a great constitutional military and moral crisis. After 11 of the 15 southern slaveholding states seceded from the U.S. to form the Confederate states. His  Emancipation Proclamation, which outlawed slavery in the Confederate states still in rebellion.