The SOTO Sun

The Student News Site of School of the Osage

The SOTO Sun

The SOTO Sun

New Christopher Reeve Documentary, “Super/Man” Premiers At Sundance.

Early last week, director’s Ian Bonhôte and Peter Ettedgui premiered their masterpiece at the 40th annual Sundance Film Festival.

Super/Manfollows the Life and Times of the incredibly talented former Superman actor, including never-before-seen footage of Reeve after the tragic horseback riding accident that left him completely paralyzed from the neck down. 

The film makes great effort to humanize Reeves, by including old home videos of the actor playing with his three children. When asked, Will Reeve (the youngest son of Christopher Reeve ) said, “You might think you know Superman, or the advocate, or whatever version of Christopher Reeve you think you know, but then you get to see him as a dad.”

However, being a family man was not the only mission of the actor; he was also a nonstop activist for the disabled community. According to directors Bonhôte and Ettedgui, their goal was not only to focus on the family man that Reeves was but also on how his legacy is being carried out through his foundation, The Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation.

It is being reported that later this year, the documentary could possibly premiere on Max after Warner Bros acquired the streaming rights for a record-setting fifteen million dollars. This deal is the most for any Sundance documentary directly after a premier and goes to show the power that independent filmmakers now have as long as they allow their passions to direct their work. 

There is no current release date for the film on streaming; however, until the film does find its way, Max still has you covered. All four original Christopher Reeve’s “Superman” movies have found their home on the streaming service, with no plans for leaving anytime soon.