The SOTO Sun

The Student News Site of School of the Osage

The SOTO Sun

The SOTO Sun

Fentanyl Impacts On the U.S Since 2021

SOTO’s News

There have been 70,601 deaths since 2021 due to fentanyl overdoses; yet the nation wide impact has been significantly increasing. Even though 70,601 is roughly estimated to be up to 1% of the population in America. However, there are limited medications to treat someone who is coming to overdosage, addiction, or withdrawing: Methadone(Full Agonist), Buprenorphine(Partial Agonist), and Naltrexone(Agonist). All of which are treatments that help detox and make a significant impact. 

Fentanyl is normally prescribed by a doctor to their patient, but fentanyl is also sold illegally as a synthetic drug. Synthetic Fentanyl can be sold as powders, laced in pills, nasal sprays, and in eye drops, and other different types of drugs. Studies show that fentanyl is 50-100 times  This synthetic version of fentanyl is sold so cheap because it doesn’t require very much product and it’s addictive. Recently this opioid has been mixed with drugs such as heroin, MDMA, cocaine, and methamphetamine. 

These symptoms can be seen in nausea, fatigue, breathing issues, constipation, sedation, and morphine-like excessive happiness. These complications can be problematic and some seem normal like, which is why it is easy to overdose and continue addiction; they can appear as normal symptoms like a stomach bug, or flu, or just a cold. These symptoms can advance very quickly. Statistics show that 150 people overdose from this synthesis opioid on a daily basis. 

Remain extremely cautious of this drug; it could potentially put your life at risk. Especially since, this drug can be hidden and laced into many different liquids, foods, candies, medicine, etc.