The SOTO Sun

The Student News Site of School of the Osage

The SOTO Sun

The SOTO Sun

Update on MLB free agency

It’s less than a month away from spring training, but there’s still plenty of notable names on the market. Starting off with the pitching side of the market, the biggest names still on the market are starters Blake Snell and Jordan Montgomery, both of whom have Scott Boras as their agent. Other notable pitchers on the market are Clayton Kershaw,  Mike Clevinger, Brandon Woodruff, Hector Neris, David Robertson, and Phil Maton among others. On the position player side, noteworthy names include the following: Cody Berlinger, Matt Chapman, J.D. Martinez, Joe Pederson, Whit Merrifield, Tim Anderson, and Justin Turner. Again, like Snell and Montgomery, Cody Bellinger is a Scott Boras client who is holding up the market. Boras is known for getting the most money for his clients. However, it seems teams have decided not to deal with him, as most of his clients remain unsigned. In the last week free agents Josh Hader, Rhys Hoskins, and Matt Moore are notable names who have signed contracts. Josh Hader got a deal of five years for ninety-five million dollars. Overall, this free agent class was considered quite weak compared to past years beside the superstar Shohei Ohanti who signed the largest deal in American sports history. With the off-season coming to an end, we will surely see these big names sign somewhere.