The SOTO Sun

The Student News Site of School of the Osage

The SOTO Sun

The SOTO Sun

Tessa’s Top 5

Movies, Movies, Movies

Everyone loves movies, that’s obvious. Whether you’re a fan of fast-paced action or sickly sweet romance, there’s a movie out there for everyone. In this article I am going to list my top 5 movies, which range from various genres. You may agree or disagree, but if you haven’t seen the movies then refrain from judgment.

#5 The Strangers This movie is a perfect mix of Horror and Thriller with a touch of action. It’s not too gory of a horror movie, but it’s not underwhelming either. The best movie of this series is ‘The Strangers: Prey at Night.” This movie specifically frightens me the most. The movie always starts with a statistic of how many home invasions there are per year, and then it hits you with the ‘Based on a True Story’ on-screen statement, which obviously makes it scarier. The music for the movie perfectly compliments the chase scenes, and the eerie still shots of the strangers standing outside the home never fail to frighten me. This movie, if watched at the perfect time of night, will make you curl your feet up under your blanket and have you double checking the locks on your door.

#4 Napoleon Dynamite This movie is a classic comedy that portrays the life of outcast Napoleon ‘Dynamite’. This movie is filled with awkward interactions and has a hilarious storyline. This is the type of movie you can watch over and over and never get tired of.

#3 The Life of Pi This movie provides a story of a boy stranded at sea with nothing but the clothes on his back and a large tiger. The cinematography of this film is stunning and the storyline will never fail to get you in your feelings.

#2 LaLa Land Now I know that not everyone likes musicals, but this movie is so much more than that. The music is some that you’ll never forget and come to always associate with LaLa Land. It’s a beautiful story of love found in an unlikely place and how no matter what, you should always follow your dreams.

#1 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince This specific film in the Harry Potter series, in my opinion, is the best out of all of them. There’s a certain quality and feel to the movie that is different from the others. We get to see a side of Harry that, I feel, is most like how I pictured him from the books. He’s more carefree and there’s a lack of extreme emotions from him at the start that contrasts well with the ending of the movie. The colors of the film foreshadow what is to come and viewers who didn’t read the books will be shocked by the outcome.