The SOTO Sun

The Student News Site of School of the Osage

The SOTO Sun

The SOTO Sun

Whoa Weather!

Whoa+Weather%21

As many of you may know, the weather has been pretty bad here at The Lake. Snow has led to the cancellation of school three times now, and some students weren’t able to make it into class at all. Because of this, I’d like to share my thoughts on the situation.

To begin, there are some things in our classes that some people can’t access outside of school. For example, the articles that need to be addressed in Current Events simply cannot be accessed online outside of school. Even if you are lucky enough to get into the site, it’ll most likely be broken or, even worse, unresponsive.

Furthermore, all students lose the benefit of in-person instruction. While they can email teachers, some events outside of someone’s control can happen, pushing the students farther behind. To add onto this, some students may not even be able to do schoolwork in the first place if they don’t have good enough Wi-Fi connections. This only serves to hurt them in the long run because most classes require something to be submitted for attendance to be counted.

In conclusion, snow days, even though they’re out of our control, only hurt the students. It makes work slower to get to, and students can’t get the help that they need if they want help, clarification, or anything of the sort. If students are to succeed, then I propose that we either modify current snow day plans or get rid of everything entirely and go back.