The SOTO Sun

The Student News Site of School of the Osage

The SOTO Sun

The SOTO Sun

The 2024 All-Stars Jersey Debate

With the start of a new year, comes a new All-star team. This year’s NHL all-stars will take place February 3rd at the Scotia Bank arena in Toronto. Every year they create a new design for the jersey, and this year the jersey was designed by musician, Justin Bieber. 

Odd right? Bieber has actually played hockey since he was a young boy. Being born and raised in Ontario he was surrounded by the sport his whole life. His favorite team also happens to be the team that his best friend plays for professionally. Auston Matthews, center for the Toronto Maple Leafs, was one of the models featured in the jerseys designed by Bieber.

The jerseys, designed by Justin Bieber’s company DrewHouse, were not received well with fans of the sport. On the front of the jersey, a large star with the NHL logo inside can be seen. The back, however, was the biggest problem in my opinion. The font is very simple and ‘comic-sans’ like. All of the wording is in lowercase letters and it just looks like there was no time put into creating it. The marketing wasn’t very geared towards older NHL fans, which caused an uproar from that community. The main focus was to target the jerseys towards a younger audience in order to attract new generations to the sport. Overall, I think the concept was a unique idea, but ultimately could’ve been executed better.