The SOTO Sun

The Student News Site of School of the Osage

The SOTO Sun

The SOTO Sun

Gaming News

A Quick Roundup

This week, I wanted to get my feet wet and try to bring something that the nerds of the school and the community at large would enjoy – a congregation of some of the biggest events in gaming. Although nothing too big has happened yet, I would like to address some of 2023’s biggest releases and events.

To start, Baldur’s Gate 3 released. For those unaware, it’s the 11th entry and 3rd mainline entry in the Baldur’s Gate series, a series that is a spinoff of Dungeons and Dragon’s mythos. While I’m personally not a huge fan of RPGs, my experience with BG3 has been nothing short of superb. Part of this is due to me finding some refreshment out of a single player focused game in an era plagued by live-service online only titles. Unlike games like Fortnite and Apex Legends, BG3 stands as a testament to just how good a game can actually be if the team behind it actually cares. While some may disagree with the fact that it’s gotten so many awards, I can actually agree with the judges. It’s become rare to have a good single player game that isn’t a remake.

Insomniac Games, developers of the recent Spider-Man games and co-developers of Sunset Overdrive, fell victim to a massive cyberattack that not only leaked personal information but also multiple project details – and even a playable pre-alpha build of their next game. While all the personal information was taken back, several builds of their next game (based off of Marvel’s Wolverine character) can still be found. Although not much is playable, the sections and what little of the story that’s been finalized has been received mostly positively. In all honesty, I’m not the biggest superhero fan, but even I am excited for it.