The SOTO Sun

The Student News Site of School of the Osage

The SOTO Sun

The SOTO Sun

Steven Buckner

After almost thirteen years of the same routine, it gets pretty hard to keep finding reasons to continue your education. The first thought of most people when they hear that dreaded alarm in the morning is to just get through the day. Steven Buckner, however, is not like most. Every morning the first thought that comes to his mind is getting that bread (literally and figuratively). On a nearly daily occurrence, he is quoted saying “I’m hungry”. While he probably meant it in the sense of breakfast, it can also be used as a metaphor for the big dreams of this young individual. 

When good ol’ Steven was asked about his dreams, there’s one major thing that comes to mind: climbing a Mountain. This is no easy feat for just anyone. Once he gets to that mountain he will be alone. No help, no one to hear his cries. But this won’t be a problem. If stranded, all Steven would need in order to survive are a machete, a flare gun, flint and steel, a fishing rod, and a metal pot. These tools will ensure that he survives not just on his trek up the mountain but also on the way back down.

These are not just the surface-level responses they may seem but a good way to look at one’s future. The way one person views their future and lives is extraordinarily different from how another person might view theirs. Steven’s is a case quite like that. He has big plans for his future and is prepared to head off on his own journey, slowly climbing up the mountain of life until he finally achieves everything he ever hoped to.