The SOTO Sun

The Student News Site of School of the Osage

The SOTO Sun

The SOTO Sun

Reviewing the St. Louis Cardinals offseason.

The St. Louis Cardinals have had a pretty busy offseason to their standards. This all happened because of their first losing season since 2007, first time in last place since 1990, they failed to make the playoffs for the first time since 2018. They started their offseason by signing two veteran starters; Lance Lynn and Kyle Gibson to one year deals each. To me both are on the decline, and personally I think the addition of both was unnecessary, and they really should have signed someone better. They did however sign Sonny Gray to a three year deal to be the ace of the rotation. I really liked this move however I think they need to get a really good number two to pair with him. They’ve also added Daniel Descalso as a bench coach, and Yadier Molina as an advisor. The two former Cardinals will provide really good experience to the younger players. They then traded away outfielder Tyler O’Neil for two relievers from the Boston Red Sox. They also traded outfielder Richie Palacios for reliever Andrew Kittredge from the Rays. They also added former Red Sox general manager Chaim Bloom as an advisor. They made what I think will be their final move of the offseason last week by signing reliever Keynan Middleton. Overall it’s been a decent offseason, but they really shouldn’t have signed one of Lynn or Gibson. Instead they could have signed or traded for another top of the rotation arm.