The SOTO Sun

The Student News Site of School of the Osage

The SOTO Sun

The SOTO Sun

The Grammys: 2024 Highlights

On Sunday, February 6th, 2024, the 66th annual Grammy’s award ceremony took place. There were 94 categories for winners, and today I am going to go over some highlights.

• Taylor Swift wins album of the year for “Midnights”

It is not too surprising that Taylor Swift won album of the year, but it left many in shock and disappointment. Taylor Swift has been a hot topic the past year, with the era’s tour, new re-releases, and the NFL, she has truly become one of the most popular artists in our current time. Does this mean she deserves the Grammy? In my opinion, no. Grammy is known to go for relevance rather than quality, and I think it shows for this pick. Even though Taylor Swift has made a huge impact this year, Midnights was not her best work, and I would argue that it was not a huge deal in the media this year. It strived in the years prior. I think the only reason it was relevant was because of her tour, but her tour is different from her album. Taylor is hardworking, but I would have rather seen it go to Lana Del Ray or Olivia Rodrigo, as I believe their albums out of the other nominee’s made the most impact this year.

• Taylor Swift announces new album

After Taylor Swift won her award, she announced her new album coming out April 19th, called the “The Tortured Poets Department.” It is rumored that Post Malone and Florence & The Machine will be featured on this album. It is also rumored that it will have 16 tracks, plus a bonus track. 

• Victoria Monet wins best new artist

Another hot topic is the winner for best new artist. Many people were upset, thinking Noah Kahan would win this category, but Victoria has proven herself to be worthy of this win. She has made a hit song “On My Mama” and has written countless songs for other celebrities, a main one being Ariana Grande. She wrote Seven Rings and Thank u next.

• Miley Cyrus wins her first Grammy for ‘Flowers’

Miley Cyrus has never won a Grammy in her career until this year. She was shown excited, and had an iconic performance at the Grammys. Many people did not think Flowers was good, but people believed she finally deserved a Grammy and were very happy for her!

• Phoebe Bridgers ends up with the most Grammys

Phoebe Bridgers ended the night with the most wins, as she attained four Grammys. One of which was awarded along with SZA for the best duo song. She also won album of the year, best rock song & performance, with her band members Lucy Dacus and Julien Baker.

These were just the top five highlights of what happened at the Grammys. Since I can not fit every single highlight, I want to do some honorable mentions. 

• SZA secured three wins at the Grammys. 
    • Laufey wins a Grammy for best Traditional Pop Vocal Album. 
    • Tyla wins a Grammy for her song Water. 
    • “What was I made for?” – Billie Eilish won two Grammys.
    • Olivia Rodrigo took no Grammys home despite being nominated six times.