The SOTO Sun

The Student News Site of School of the Osage

The SOTO Sun

The SOTO Sun

Is Daylight Savings Really Necessary?

It’s about time for everyone’s favorite time of year. Daylight Savings is approaching and an hour of sleep is going away. It’s quite the controversial topic among the United States. Many people give the argument that it isn’t necessary and then the other half of the population say that it is. But who’s really right? Let’s take a look at some reasons why daylight savings time is good and why it is bad.

With the clocks going forward an hour we will get an extra hour of daylight in the mornings. With this daylight, farmers are able to get to their fields and get work done, further providing food for the United States as a whole. There are also less accidents reported and crime rates have been known to go down a noticeable amount. The daylight makes it easier for people to see the roads and get to work safely than if it was dark and criminals are less likely to commit crimes without the cover of the night. However, while daylight savings has many good qualities there are also major downfalls to it.

With an extra hour of daylight in the morning, an hour of darkness is taken away. Without this darkness people will not be able to get the sleep their bodies need. According to an article published in the New York Times ‘UpFront, “teenagers and students lose up to 32 minutes of sleep on average throughout the following weeks of daylight savings time. Lack of sleep can cause issues with the immune system, mental health issues, loss of productivity and in extreme cases, even death. While it’s easier to see the road with the extra daylight, that’s unimportant if you’re too tired to even keep your eyes open and on the road.

There are many upsides and pitfalls when it comes to daylight savings time. It helps drive down crime rates but also increases sleep deprivation among youth. You either don’t mind it too much or you hate it because, let’s be honest, nobody truly loves daylight savings.