The SOTO Sun

The Student News Site of School of the Osage

The SOTO Sun

The SOTO Sun

Jason Belmonte’s Story

Bowling is an underrated sport, and some people sometimes even argue if it is a sport. In my opinion, it very much is a sport. The PBA(Pro Bowlers Association) is a great organization. With some of the best bowlers ever, it’s becoming a likable sport more and more every single day. Some current great players are Bill O’Neill, Tom Smallwood, Marshall Kent, EJ Tackett, and Kyle Troup. However, there is one professional bowler who stands out from the rest. He is arguably the best bowler on the entire planet: Jason Belmonte. Belmonte started his career in 2008 in the PBA. He even won the Rookie of the Year Award. In his first year, he also won the Bowling Foundation Long Island Classic PBA Tour event in his PBA TV finals debut. As the second seed, he defeated Bill O’Neill and went on to defeat number one seed Mike Fagan 215-201 for his first PBA title. Over the years, he just keeps getting better and better, continuing to win PBA Titles and PBA Majors. He is one if not the best two-handed bowler ever. He inspired me to this day, just watching him, to bowl two-handed. It has made me a great bowler to this day. Jason Belmonte has won a total of 15 majors, which is the most in PBA history. Also, he has won 31 PBA tour titles which is the 7th most in PBA History. I believe that it’s safe to say he’s one of the best, if not the greatest, bowler ever. Born in Orange, Australia, Belmonte bowled his first ball at only 18 months old, which is absolutely incredible. He is the only bowler ever in PBA history to bowl 3 televised perfect 300 games. He has bowled over 27 perfect games in his career ,which is absolutely insane. He has his own bowling balls with his name on them, and he has many sponsors with bowling companies. It’s safe to say he’s one of the greatest bowlers in PBA history, and at 40 years old, he’s not done yet.